As a keen and continuous follower of the game of cricket for the last 50 years, I feel that following steps are urgently needed to stem the rot.
1. Rahul Dravid should step down as captain. In fact, he should have already offered.
2. Sachin Tendulkar should announce his retirement from cricket. He should have already done so. It is painful to see such a great player facing humiliation on the field every now and then.
3. Virender Sehwag should be asked to play domestic or even county cricket for one year to restore his form and confidence and also to learn the art of tackling all sorts of balls. He may be considered again only after that.
4. Saurav Ganguly should be made interim captain for sometime and in the meantime permanent solution in this regard be found out. Even Dravid could be reconsidered but it is essential to restore his form first.
5. Robin Uthappa should be persisted with for one or two more series.
6. Irfan Pathan should not be discarded. He can even be tried as a batting all rounder.
7. Mohammad Kaif should be tried for a longish duration higher up the order. He has the talent and his fielding asset is unquestionable.
8. For sometime Dinesh Karthick should be given regular chance. Dhoni should show more responsibility on batting front. Much has been counted on him but not delivered.
9. Ramesh Powar should be given regular chance.
10. Search for attacking bowlers should be intensified with a sense of urgency.
11. Those players whose indiscipline is established should not be allowed to go scot free.
12. Youngsters should be inducted one or two at a time because victories cannot be achieved without experience.
13. Coach Greg Chappell must go. He has not been able to achieve anything. Indian cricket has not gained during his tenure. Reason may be any, we have ended with a humiliating loss.
14. An Indian should be made the coach. It is wrong to say coaches within are not available I suggest the name of Mohinder Amarnath.
Let us save Indian cricket and not allow it to go hockey way.